Here we go. :stanley:
DEPRESSING SONGS ABOUT MATH AND FISH GET ME HOT

Offline AzurePillow

• strange how that colour still seems tender
    • View Profile
Re: A Moon Shaped Pool
« Reply #1 on: May 08 2016, 03:18 PM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The album cover artwork is gorgeous. Looks like marbling. I made handmade stationary like that once, and it was so much fun! It would be so awesome if some of the merch has amazing marbling on it!

Radiohead A Moon Shaped Pool
  • Burn The Witch
  • Daydreaming
  • Decks Dark
  • Desert Island Disk
  • Ful Stop
  • Glass Eyes
  • Identikit
  • The Numbers
  • Present Tense
  • Tinker Tailer Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
  • True Love Waits
I was kind of hoping for Silent Spring to be on here!!! Just started my download, haven't listened yet!!!!
Am I the only one ever so slightly sad to see so many songs we've already heard, even if they weren't properly released?

If there was a way to be healthy while saving animals from abuse, helping to protect the planet, decreasing deforestation, and having enough resources to feed the hungry, wouldn't you do it?
Please, consider veganism, or at least consuming less animal products. :) Ask me how I can help!

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08 2016, 03:21 PM »
Nigel:

It's out! Making this album was a very intense experience for me. I lost my dad in the process...Hence a large piece of my soul lives here in a good way. I eternally thank my brothers in radiohead for all the love that went into it.. and for their support. happy listening all!

Offline Flantasmata

• some kind of situationist Kabuki theatre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2016, 03:21 PM »
That's how they roll. :)

Offline Flantasmata

• some kind of situationist Kabuki theatre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08 2016, 03:22 PM »
My download link didn't show up in my confirmation email so I'm listening to BBC 6.

True Love Waits, though. After all these years.....

And no Lift. :cry:

Offline AzurePillow

• strange how that colour still seems tender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08 2016, 03:30 PM »
More about the album cover artwork: Now that I have the album downloaded and am looking at the included artwork.... OH MY GOD. It's so beautiful. It's like a cross between an old aerial photograph of a barren landscape, a microscopic image of some body tissue, of marbling, and of cut and paste .... it's just so crazy-beautiful!
If there was a way to be healthy while saving animals from abuse, helping to protect the planet, decreasing deforestation, and having enough resources to feed the hungry, wouldn't you do it?
Please, consider veganism, or at least consuming less animal products. :) Ask me how I can help!

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08 2016, 03:35 PM »
My download link didn't show up in my confirmation email so I'm listening to BBC 6.

True Love Waits, though. After all these years.....

And no Lift. :cry:

There are two bonus tracks on the special edition, so who knows? :)

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08 2016, 03:53 PM »
I expect there will be some disagreement about this one, BUT FUL STOP IS FUCKING AMAZING!

Offline halah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08 2016, 03:54 PM »
So proud to be a radiohead fan today.  Boys, you done good. /understatement of the year

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08 2016, 03:55 PM »
So proud to be a radiohead fan today.  Boys, you done good. /understatement of the year

YES!

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08 2016, 04:03 PM »
I was kind of hoping for Silent Spring to be on here!!!

:)

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08 2016, 04:03 PM »
I expect there will be some disagreement about this one, BUT FUL STOP IS FUCKING AMAZING!

Yes, it is. It's fantastic. The whole album is. I love it more than I could have hoped for. It's majestic.

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08 2016, 04:07 PM »
Yes, it is. It's fantastic. The whole album is. I love it more than I could have hoped for. It's majestic.

Yes, yes, yes!

Oh, there's also a limited edition for indie stores.
I want everything! :colin:

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08 2016, 04:11 PM »
It's too soon to throw out "masterpiece".  Gonna do it anyway.  It's so... realized.  It's gorgeous.

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08 2016, 04:14 PM »
I hate that word but this time I think I have to use it. It's not too soon, no.

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08 2016, 04:18 PM »
I just finished it.  I'm wrecked. 

That was emotional.  Holy shit.

Offline green gloves

• fairly undramatic and quite light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08 2016, 04:32 PM »
Jesus christ, I love it. It's fucking devastating. :cry:

Offline jiska

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08 2016, 04:37 PM »
Me too, its all gorgeous

Offline crakd

• your problems hide in your curls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08 2016, 05:06 PM »
I feel like we're witnessing history today.  Instant classic isn't strong enough.
"I like how Crakd's intense rainbow power leaves behind a wake of destruction for her enemies."

Offline bluebird

• moon upon a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08 2016, 05:27 PM »

I was kind of hoping for Silent Spring to be on here!!! J
it is: numbers!

i don't know where to start.... it's just a perfect, gorgeous, beautiful mighty record: all i can say is it's a masterpiece!!!  :wacko:   

« Reply #20 on: May 08 2016, 05:29 PM »
the first time around i wasn't sure about some of it but listening again just wiped all of those doubts away - i think i was relying on the live/old versions of some songs too much for reference the first time, while in the second i had relaxed enough to listen on its own terms. it's stunning :cry:
this article does not so much have an issue of neutrality as lack of actual factual information.
« Reply #21 on: May 08 2016, 05:33 PM »
My impression after two listens is more mixed, although that is usually the case with my first and second listens of Radiohead albums, so I'm not fretting too much. ;)  At the moment I'm frankly a little confused by the arrangements that Identikit and The Present Tense got, and to me True Love Waits felt like an unnecessary anachronism on this record. *hides* Also, I wonder why Ful Stop takes such a long time to get to its proper amount of awesomeness instrumentally (right after the 'full stop' part, ironically).

However, I like all three 'new' tracks (Tinker Tailor etc. most I think, although I barely remember what it sounds like as I'm typing this :lol: ), and Desert Island Disk ended up being very sweet to my ears - it retains the atmosphere of the Thom solo version we heard, and I'm happy with that since I enjoyed that recording a great deal.

Best things last: WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK DID THEY DO WITH SILENT SPRING? I liked the Thom version well enough and was looking forward to the studio take, but I was not prepared for this in the least. What a beautiful, majestic, ass-kicking perfect song it is in its The Numbers guise. Hearing that marvellous crescendo gave me the biggest fucking smile all over my face as I was listening. This gets my award for instant classic of the album. I'm still a little shocked by how good that turned out.
^ IMHO

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08 2016, 05:48 PM »
I have to admit, I bet I'm so deeply digging this precisely because I wasn't in Radiohead's nooks and crannies the last few years.  I've got a 'don't know what you've got til it's gone', 'reunited and it feels so good' thing going on.   :lol:   Age and time wedges, things push and pull apart, so it's all.... fresh, albeit familiar.  A theme I think Thom grapples with a lot.   It's that, and also that this album is particularly focused and artful.  It deserves enormous respect.

Ful Stop has a Jigsaw vibe, yeah?  This is my first time listening to it so that may be an old, or non-existent, observation.

Silent Spring, er... The Numbers, is particularly potent.

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08 2016, 06:07 PM »
Yes, Ful Stop definitely sounds Jigsaw-y. I love Jigsaw, but this track...I can't believe how much I love it. I keep playing it over and over.

I also heard something Crawling Up the Walls-meets-All I Need in Tinker Tailor at one point.
« Reply #24 on: May 08 2016, 06:28 PM »
I'm floored. Overwhelmed.  :cry:  Must listen more now.  :wub:
This far I think Decks Dark, Ful Stop and The Numbers is my favourites.

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08 2016, 06:43 PM »
I have nothing intelligent to add but I want to hang around here and put lots of :wub: s and :cry: s and more :wub: s. It is so, so, so beautiful. And devastating.

I love what they've done with Ful Stop, Identikit and Present Tense (I also love the new title, without "the" :) ), DID and Silent Spring/The Numbers are wonderful (he was right when he said "wait till you hear the full version"). And True Love Waits sounds like the live version they've been playing during the last tour and I always loved that. It's gorgeous and I'm incredibly happy they recorded it and it really belongs on this record.

The new songs are just :wub::wub::wub::cry::wub::wub::wub:. Decks dark. :cry::cry:

And then all the details. I don't even know where to begin. :wacko:

Offline Sisi BakBak

• formerly ondioline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08 2016, 07:04 PM »
I'm so relieved. It's Good. It's beautiful. It's so beautiful.

I'm making a rating thread, I want to see how my faves evolve.
"...long before your parents squirted water at each other from across the clown car and then honked their bicycle horns to indicate they really wanted to make a smug, insufferable little clown baby together."

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08 2016, 07:11 PM »
I don't know how to explain this, but to my ears this album sounds like the perfect, most logical followup to TKOL. It's not a different direction or anything like that, it simply grows from TKOL.
« Reply #28 on: May 08 2016, 07:13 PM »
I'm jealous of you guys. :p Then again, I don't think I've ever loved a Radiohead album start to finish until at least a fifth or sixth listen - not even OKC or Kid A. I remember being particularly disappointed with my first encounter with In Rainbows. :lol:
^ IMHO

Offline RV

• ReVamped!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08 2016, 07:14 PM »
Just popping in to say how lucky I feel to be enjoying this today with so many of you. :wub:
Sorry to have to love you and leave you.

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08 2016, 07:20 PM »
Just popping in to say how lucky I feel to be enjoying this today with so many of you. :wub:
:wub: 

Eric - Digesting is smart and thoughtful.  Take your time.  Instant gratification is luck.

KidZ - agreed!  It's integrating, but logical in its progression.  It has context.  It's brilliant.

Offline crakd

• your problems hide in your curls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08 2016, 07:26 PM »
I have to admit, I bet I'm so deeply digging this precisely because I wasn't in Radiohead's nooks and crannies the last few years.  I've got a 'don't know what you've got til it's gone', 'reunited and it feels so good' thing going on.   :lol:   Age and time wedges, things push and pull apart, so it's all.... fresh, albeit familiar.  A theme I think Thom grapples with a lot.   It's that, and also that this album is particularly focused and artful.  It deserves enormous respect.

yes yes.  this.  i haven't hung onto every live performance etc, so these songs are fresh to me.  :)
"I like how Crakd's intense rainbow power leaves behind a wake of destruction for her enemies."

Offline Dustbunny

• IN UR HOUSE, HAUNTING UR THOMS
    • View Profile
    • aerofish
« Reply #32 on: May 08 2016, 07:26 PM »
I personally think it's Radiohead's best, most fully-realized album since Kid A/Amnesiac.

I didn't realize how worried I was, deep down, after King of Limbs, an album I don't even own in a physical format, LOL. It's a trippy, folky, jazzy, psychedelic, weird, cinematic, lush album and it's 100% RADIOHEAD and I'm in love in the way I fell in love with albums when I was 16. It's exactly what I didn't know I wanted from them.
~intolerant, hostile to newcomers, cliquish, arrogant, hypocritical and just *mean*~

Offline RV

• ReVamped!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08 2016, 07:29 PM »
I personally think it's Radiohead's best, most fully-realized album since Kid A/Amnesiac.

Totally agree. I have such a full heart today. Glorious.
Sorry to have to love you and leave you.

Offline Dustbunny

• View Profile
    • aerofish
« Reply #34 on: May 08 2016, 07:29 PM »
OK, I always knew I wanted a folk album from them, but I didn't know I wanted a psychadelia-folk album that can I can only describe as LUNAR, lol.
~intolerant, hostile to newcomers, cliquish, arrogant, hypocritical and just *mean*~

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08 2016, 07:37 PM »
OK, I always knew I wanted a folk album from them, but I didn't know I wanted a psychadelia-folk album that can I can only describe as LUNAR, lol.

I would always describe the leap from The Bends to OKC as stratospheric.  This transition deserves as worthy a leap.  Not a diversion, a leaping off point to something... much higher.  No AMSP without TKOL.

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08 2016, 07:43 PM »
Yes, I almost wish they'd waited and put Give up the Ghost and/or Separator on this album, or somewhere between the two albums. Both seem to lead into this album, but I always felt that both songs felt rushed into production. This album gives me what I always wanted for both songs (hinted at in Cambridge, where they were debuted), and makes me feel like both would have been as glorious as I knew they could be if only RH had let them be until they were ready.

Offline kabix

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08 2016, 07:46 PM »
Oh man, both of those songs on this album would have been... what's a better word than amazing?  Damn.  Yes please.

Offline Dustbunny

• View Profile
    • aerofish
« Reply #38 on: May 08 2016, 07:47 PM »

I would always describe the leap from The Bends to OKC as stratospheric.  This transition deserves as worthy a leap.  Not a diversion, a leaping off point to something... much higher.  No AMSP without TKOL.

You can't have high-ground if you don't have a slog, first  :jonny:

(Sorry guys, I'll never like KoL as a whole album. But I really really really really really love Moon Pool!)

Offline KidZ

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08 2016, 07:49 PM »
It's almost like In Rainbows ended an era, it was in a way a 'best of' album made of new songs, and TKOL began a new one. And this is how the new one sounds like. From now on they could do anything, they are insanely good, mature, self-assured (without the annoying side of self-assuredness). And there's still that frailty, the vulnerability they always had, they haven't lost it in the process.

Boy they've grown up good. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm so proud of them!

And can we talk about that box set? :wacko: