Offline Carolyn

• View Profile
Re: The Generic Movie Thread
« Reply #5800 on: Jun 20 2015, 09:07 PM »
I really want to see Inside Out.  It was good, I take it?

Offline clovly

• i like radiohead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: Jun 20 2015, 10:29 PM »
I really want to see Inside Out.  It was good, I take it?

Holy crap it was good.

Offline clovly

• i like radiohead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: Jul 07 2015, 06:50 PM »
We beat jurassic world!  boooyeah!  :cornholio:

finally.  :P

Offline naively

• naively
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: Sep 28 2015, 11:25 PM »
The Martian

Saw a sneak preview tonight. Woah.  :phil:

I don't think I'm posting any spoilers, but just in case:

the film was very true to the book. The scenery is beautiful. The space suits are outstanding. The film is like the book: equal parts technical, goofy, and suspenseful. I liked it a lot. Then again, I am a total sucker for a good space story.
He makes punctuation his bitch... I hope he names Radiohead's next album w, only he puts a tilde over it for no particular reason. I hope all the lyrics are just one long run-on sentence, with abrupt periods and em-dashes tossed in by a blindfolded Jonny Greenwood.

Offline arrest this girl

• woooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: Sep 29 2015, 12:35 AM »
hooray! I liked the book and the trailer, so I've been cautiously optimistic for this. ^_^

Offline naively

• naively
    • View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: Sep 29 2015, 06:57 PM »
If you liked the book (few people didn't) I think you'll like the film. I thought the casting was quite excellent for the characters. A very fun ride. :)
He makes punctuation his bitch... I hope he names Radiohead's next album w, only he puts a tilde over it for no particular reason. I hope all the lyrics are just one long run-on sentence, with abrupt periods and em-dashes tossed in by a blindfolded Jonny Greenwood.

Offline Sisi BakBak

• formerly ondioline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: Sep 30 2015, 01:57 PM »
I'm glad Sebastian Stan is finally getting roles in things that (will) do well. :sunshine:
I shouldn't go see it in the cinema, but I'm probably going to see it in the cinema. :jonny:
"...long before your parents squirted water at each other from across the clown car and then honked their bicycle horns to indicate they really wanted to make a smug, insufferable little clown baby together."

Offline still waters bo peep

• it's all wrong, it's all right
  • freak monkeys with mediocre tunes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: Oct 03 2015, 02:43 PM »
i'm seeing it tonight.  :cornholio:
CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE RICK

ALL THE TIME

• View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: Oct 04 2015, 01:23 AM »
i'm seeing it tonight.  :cornholio:

Loved it! Matt Damon was perfect.

ALL THE TIME

Offline Tiloja

• at the sharp end of absolutely sod-all squared...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: Oct 04 2015, 06:36 PM »
Just got back. So good.  :cornholio:
.:.I'm never gonna know you now but I'm gonna love you anyhow. <3.:.
Aug. 6th, 1969 - Oct. 21st, 2003

Offline crakd

• your problems hide in your curls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: Oct 04 2015, 07:59 PM »
i never got to the movies, but just got back from that one.  was excellent.   ^_^
"I like how Crakd's intense rainbow power leaves behind a wake of destruction for her enemies."

Offline cdave2

• View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: Nov 21 2015, 10:54 AM »
Saw Laurie Anderson's Heart of a Dog the other night. I joke that she's the closest I have to a guru - yes, even more so than Sylvian! - and while some of her stories were familiar from previous works, I never tire of them. Her film deals with the loss of a beloved pet and some particularly harrowing memories, but it wasn't as emotionally wrenching as I'd expected, more curious and questioning. "You must learn to feel sad without being sad," she quotes her Buddhist teacher, and her film is the embodiment of that. Lovely and I wish I could see it again. Maybe a double release with her Home of the Brave one day?

Offline arrest this girl

• woooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: Jan 17 2016, 02:27 AM »
Oscars, anyone?

I really liked Mad Max, and I just watched The Martian, which I also liked. Joe and I were going to go to a movie tonight and there were a few Oscar-nominated films playing, but they all sounded long and dark.

I would have loved to see Ex Machina nominated for a best picture, that was a great little movie.

My hope is that Tom Hardy gets an award for his role in The Revenant and Leonardo Dicaprio does not. (Don't worry, I haven't put any money on it.)

Here's the list of the major awards.

BEST PICTURE
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Offline naively

• naively
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: Feb 05 2016, 07:27 PM »
I've seen a bunch of films lately. Lots of good ones.

The Big Short: 5 stars
Spotlight: 5 stars
Sisters: 3.5 stars
Mud: 3 stars
Brooklyn: 3 stars
The Wind Rises: 5 stars
Under The Skin: 5 stars

Next up: Ex Machina, Straight Outta Compton

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: Feb 05 2016, 07:52 PM »
Mud: 3 stars

Concur. Could have been so much better (if made later?).

Under The Skin: 5 stars

6 :).

Next up: Ex Machina

Nice one. Share your impression.
Why this and not something else?
Bitterness is a paralytic. Love is a much more vicious motivator.
« Reply #5815 on: Feb 05 2016, 08:03 PM »
I feel like Ex Machina is a bonafide new sci-fi classic until about 15 minutes before it ends; I don't have a particular problem with the events that occur near the film's conclusion, but its pacing suddenly sags rather weirdly and then the whole thing just sort of tapers off. Too bad because it's still a really good movie.
^ IMHO

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: Feb 05 2016, 08:08 PM »
I loved The Big Short. But I also loved Brooklyn, more than 3 stars' worth. It felt like my story in reverse (up to a point), so I have a real soft spot for it.

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: Feb 05 2016, 08:24 PM »
I feel like Ex Machina is a bonafide new sci-fi classic until about 15 minutes before it ends; I don't have a particular problem with the events that occur near the film's conclusion, but its pacing suddenly sags rather weirdly and then the whole thing just sort of tapers off. Too bad because it's still a really good movie.

Can't but agree.

...but they sort of wrote themselves into a corner. There was no decent way out if you wanted to tell the story like that. Leaving it in some state of unresolved wasn't an option, it seems.

I haven't been watching movies much lately. We've been plowing through series - it provides a measure of peace and comforting continuity for self-employed parents of a 3-year old :lol: .

Leftovers was, for the most part, sheer brilliance. Fargo 2 was entertaining, but ultimately underwhelming because secondary. Sens8 is great in its overwrought-ness. And now it's Mad Men - long, and so far blissful, haul.

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: Feb 05 2016, 08:29 PM »
Mad Men is the best ever. I will miss it horribly.  :cry:

Have you been watching War & Peace?

Offline crakd

• View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: Feb 05 2016, 08:45 PM »
oh mad men.   :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

we've been watching "mr robot."  somehow it managed to be something i heard about every 10 seconds yet had no idea what it was about. 
"I like how Crakd's intense rainbow power leaves behind a wake of destruction for her enemies."

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: Feb 05 2016, 10:18 PM »
Mad Men is the best ever. I will miss it horribly.  :cry:

We're on third season, I think, so can afford not to think about it ;) .

Not yet, have you? Should we?

we've been watching "mr robot."  somehow it managed to be something i heard about every 10 seconds yet had no idea what it was about. 

We made it through 1.5 episodes :erm: . No :erm: . ...the idea was great, but :huh: . Do you like it?

Also, muchly hyped Expanse - awful >_< . And has anybody seen Childhood's End?

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: Feb 05 2016, 10:50 PM »

Not yet, have you? Should we?

I've enjoyed it. I will watch Stephen Rea any time, any place. :wub: And Paul Dano. And Matthieu Kassovitz (as Napoleon!). However, it's 8 hours in total, so a lot is crammed in, often at the expense of the major themes. It's a beautifully done costume drama (naturally, as Andrew Davies did the adaptation), and enjoyable for that. But do I come away understanding why this is considered one of the greatest books of all time, or pondering its themes? No.

Edit: I have to admit that for the first two hours, I kept thinking of Woody Allen's 'Love and Death.'  :p
« Last Edit: Feb 06 2016, 02:59 AM by Ali »

• View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: Feb 05 2016, 11:00 PM »
i thought spotlight was fantastic. i expected not to like it because i don't need any more reasons to despise the catholic church, but i was really happy that it focused on the journalism rather than the victims. it was incredible how compelling the story was, just by telling how they uncovered the story. but i also can't separate whether or not that's because i'm an (ex)journalist and i was all YAY JOURNALISTS!!! and/or whether i'm a bostonian and i loved seeing all the familiar sights.

next on my list: the danish girl and the big short.

ALL THE TIME

Offline crakd

• View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: Feb 05 2016, 11:05 PM »
I do like Mr Robot.  I find the main character pretty interesting.  And I'm not a computer person, so I can allow many of what I'm sure are gaping plot holes slide by.   :p   I'm not terribly picky.

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: Feb 06 2016, 04:47 AM »
No, it wasn't even about the plot holes... I remember disliking the general way in which the story operated - too naive and direct. Both as a comment on the current state of things and as a fantasy, it seemed misguided if not stupid. Though well-intentioned. But, I'm prone to having unpopular views :lol: , and I might well be mistaken - I haven't watched the thing beyond 15 min into E2, after all.

Also, Manhattan! Which was fantastic in S1, and then, sadly, deteriorated. ...and here, let me vent my frustration of really, really liking a secondary character in a show. Whose screen time then promptly dwindles to nothing  :angry: . Oppenheimer  :censor: .

...also, I've just been to the TV thread specifically to see what was posted about True Detective 1. So everyone hated it, then :lol: :cry: . And I know it wasn't perfect, but to me, it was, ending and all. (Though it does seem like I read the ending somewhat differently from most, because if one takes it for sentimental crap that it appears to be, one must assume that Pizzolatto is a hack who painted himself into a very stupid corner. Which isn't remotely true.) ...but anyway. Some stories, and the way they're told, are direct hits. Perfect matches. And this one was one for me.
« Reply #5825 on: Feb 06 2016, 11:04 AM »
Tali, if you haven't yet, you MUST watch The Knick. Especially its first season is fantastic. I must say that the last two or three episodes of season 2 are disappointingly hokey in the way some plot threads are wrapped up, but until then it's easily the best tv series of the past few years.

(Although my verdict on True Detective was and still is: insufferable from start to finish :p)
^ IMHO

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: Feb 06 2016, 01:41 PM »
Tali, if you haven't yet, you MUST watch The Knick. Especially its first season is fantastic. I must say that the last two or three episodes of season 2 are disappointingly hokey in the way some plot threads are wrapped up, but until then it's easily the best tv series of the past few years.

I did see The Knick! Of course. How could I forget to mention it? Great, it was. And yes, plot threads being wrapped up and that, but the scene where Cleary makes breakfast for Rose made me cry a little :cry: .

(Although my verdict on True Detective was and still is: insufferable from start to finish :p  )

So is all of Woody Allen  :stanley: .

Offline naively

• naively
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: Feb 06 2016, 04:43 PM »
I saw one episode of The Leftovers, and it was compelling. We're on season 5 of Mad Men. Love it.

Offline Tali

• Secrets to be told.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: Feb 06 2016, 05:25 PM »
Also: Carnivale. Not new - S1 2003, S2 2005, and regrettably  :angry: cancelled after that. One of the best series ever made, both plot- and production-wise. And there's Michael J. Anderson in it, the Twin Peaks/Mulholland Drive dwarf.

Offline Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: Feb 06 2016, 06:00 PM »
Is anyone watching Mozart in the Jungle? I'm told it's terrific. And it stars Gael Garcia Bernal.  :wub:
« Reply #5830 on: Feb 06 2016, 07:20 PM »
(Although my verdict on True Detective was and still is: insufferable from start to finish :p  )

So is all of Woody Allen  :stanley: .

Pfft, at least I watched all of True Detective. :stanley:
^ IMHO

Offline Mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: Feb 07 2016, 12:04 AM »
I tried to watch the Knick and thought it was very good and Clive Owen was terrific but in the very first episode there are a couple patients who have small bowel blockage surgeries and it was way graphic and I'm still messed up in the head over my own experience with that so haven't been able to watch more.

@Ali--Yes, I've been watching Mozart in the Jungle! ^_^  It's a such a cute and fluffy little show. I dunno how accurately it portrays the classical music scene but I've found it enjoyable. Gael Garcia Bernal is so damn cute. :wub:

*brings down the tone of the discussion * Ex Machina was great and all but what I took away most from is it that Oscar Isaac can have that hair and beard and I'd still hit it like the fist of a righteous god.
"Tamika has taken to wearing the detached hand of a librarian around her neck as a warning to any who would dare face her that she has already defeated the most fearsome creature imaginable.

Offline Mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: Feb 07 2016, 12:06 AM »
Oh, and I loved Carnivale!  :cry:  I was so upset when HBO cancelled it after *that* ending. I'm probably more bitter over that than I am about them cancelling Rome and Deadwood.
"Tamika has taken to wearing the detached hand of a librarian around her neck as a warning to any who would dare face her that she has already defeated the most fearsome creature imaginable.

Offline clovly

• i like radiohead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: Feb 13 2016, 08:47 AM »
I do like Mr Robot.  I find the main character pretty interesting.  And I'm not a computer person, so I can allow many of what I'm sure are gaping plot holes slide by.   :p   I'm not terribly picky.

My friend from college stars in that....and I'm seeing him toniiiiiight!  (I think)

I've never seen it though.

Offline crakd

• View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: Feb 13 2016, 02:12 PM »
rami malek?  he's got a weird face and i dig it.   :stanley:

Offline clovly

• i like radiohead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: Feb 14 2016, 01:20 PM »

Offline naively

• naively
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: Feb 29 2016, 07:54 PM »
Loved Ex Machina. New sci-fi Classic, indeed.  I'm so glad it won the Oscar for visual effects. I thought the tone was just perfect. The dancing scene was so incredibly creepy, in the weirdest way! All of the performances, the set/scenery, and the music were superb. I want to go to Norway. :wub:
« Reply #5837 on: Jun 19 2016, 07:39 PM »
Anton Yelchin died!? :(
^ IMHO

Offline No Paranoia

• he buzzes like a fridge he's like a detuned radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: Jun 20 2016, 12:10 AM »
Anton Yelchin died!? :(
And in such a horrible way, too  :cry: :cry: :cry: